- Bachelor's degree in computer science or related technical field
- 8+ years of professional software development experience, not including internships
- 5+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design of scalable and reliable distributed systems
- Experience designing, building, and successfully delivering distributed systems that process data on a petabyte scale
- Experience with big data technologies such as Spark, Amazon EMR, Amazon Redshift and Amazon Athena
- Production-level programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, Scala, C#, or C++, including object-oriented design
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices and the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
- Excellent interpersonal communication and strong verbal and written English skills
Amazon's Advertising Analytics and Insights (A&I) team is looking for a motivated and experienced Senior Software Development Engineer to pioneer the design and development of a new petabyte-scale, distributed data processing system for analysis of the needs, experiences, and behaviors of Amazon consumers. We are a startup within one of the fastest growing and most strategic parts of Amazon. Analytics & Insights owns the product, technology and deployment roadmap for advanced analytics and insights products across our advertiser success team. Advertiser success is core to Amazon's growth, as it helps our suppliers drive awareness, consideration, and purchase of their products by hundreds of millions of consumers around the world, and generates revenue which helps us lower prices and invest in improvements to our customer experience. We are a highly motivated, collaborative and fun-loving team with an entrepreneurial spirit and bias for action. With a broad mandate to experiment and innovate, we are growing at an unprecedented rate with a seemingly endless range of new opportunities.
Marketers are looking for ways to better understand consumer needs and behaviors. Understanding the "consumer journey" helps marketers cater to consumer needs and optimize their advertising spending, increasing the value of advertising for both advertisers and consumers. To improve our capabilities in this area, we aim to develop a data processing system capable of supporting complex analysis and machine learning on petabytes of data. The scale of this data presents a major engineering challenge, as it is beyond the practical limits of many existing technologies. As Senior Software Development Engineer, you will take a leading role in the architecture and development of the new system. You will help mentor and set an example for a new and growing team of top-notch technical professionals, with a focus on sustained operational excellence. If you love to think big, move fast, and implement solutions to hard problems while working hard, having fun, and making history, this may be the opportunity for you.