Amazon is looking for a Technical Program Manager to come join the Yard Tech team in transportation technology. Amazon.com stores and sells millions of unique items through its Fulfillment Centers (FCs), Sort Center (SC) and Delivery Station (DS) network globally. This is a hugely complex logistics network with hundreds of thousands of transportation assets of different types (tractor, trailer, box truck, motorcycle, etc.), in different operational states (empty, loading, etc.), on the move or stationary and in different locations around the world. The Yard Tech team is responsible for tracking and managing transportation assets of all kinds that ship goods to and from Amazon facilities. We leverage Computer Vision, GPS, LIDAR, integration with external services and other sources of information to provide real time updates and tracking of what is happening on the ground. We are a key component of the Transportation Technology systems, bridging the gap between the physical world and the virtual transportation plan. Further we are looking at leveraging our expertise in the various aforementioned technologies to build automated solutions for yard management. We are currently used on 5 continents and are working to be deployed at every Amazon fulfillment facility globally.
As a TPM, you will work closely with regional fulfillment operations teams in North America, EU, Japan, China, India and Brazil to develop a deep understanding of our business and regional partners, work closely with business operations and software engineering teams to define the road map, architecture and success metrics for new system capabilities, own project management for deliverables that span multiple services and multiple teams, and ensure effective overall execution. You will work with external delivery partners on new technology interfaces to capture real time updates to the delivery network.
Successful candidates have the ability to identify key performance indicators for business operations and technology, to recognize opportunities to innovate both on the business and technology front, and to anticipate risks, make trade-offs, and encourage risk-taking behavior to maximize business benefit while mitigating disruption to critical software services. In addition, strong candidates will be able to understand and influence the architecture of large scale distributed services and databases, to drive technical solutions across multiple systems, and have excellent communication skills, a passion for building simple, elegant solutions and architecturally sound systems, and a drive for results.
- 5+ years experience managing complex technology projects.
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Computer Science or related technical field.
- Prior experience with agile methodologies.
- Experience with project delivery for large, cross functional projects.
- Experience managing efforts in cloud hosted servicess, distributed systems and/or developing large scale mobile or web applications.
- Experience building and operating highly scalable, high availability service
- Proven track record of building innovative software solutions
- Experience building elegant, efficient and actionable user interfaces
- The ideal candidate will be a visionary leader and builder with strong business acumen and analytical skills. He/she should have experience leading or contributing to multiple simultaneous product development efforts and initiatives. He/she needs to balance technical leadership with strong business judgment to make the right decisions about technology choices. He/she needs to be constantly striving for simplicity, and at the same time demonstrate significant creativity, innovation and judgment.
Amazon.com is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer - Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.