We are looking for a for a seasoned and talented software engineering manager to join and build the team that will launch a new AWS service in Vancouver.
Help us revolutionize the Cloud! AWS is the fastest growing division within Amazon.
We are on a mission in the AWS Events organization to transform the way developers architect, build, and deploy large scale applications that are scalable and secure out of the box. Our goal is to make the development experience plumbing-free and let developers focus their time on bringing new ideas to life and remove undifferentiated heavy lifting from their workflows. We are in the process of building a set of new AWS services in Amazon Vancouver which will help us achieve this mission for AWS customers across the world.
More information on Amazon MQ is available at http://aws.amazon.com/amazon-mq.
You have a passion for software development and are ready to help guide a new team through building a distributed platform that will be the underpinning for running large number of compute nodes across multiple data centers. You can explain why various design patterns are both awesome and constraining, you've seen production code fail (and fixed) in spectacular ways - and learned from it. You've come to the understanding that being passionate about an idea is different than taking it personally and believe that debate makes strong ideas stronger.
You've written and released lots of software, shipped products, and contributed to platforms, tools and modules. Having worked with several frameworks, designs and scaling models you understand the challenges involved with building big, distributed systems used by thousands of people every day - and relish them. You love to learn new things and grow.
What You'll Do
- Effectively mentor and manage a team of software developers including their projects and performance
- Deliver project roadmap on-time, communicating clearly with team, management and stakeholders
- Work with other managers and team members to estimate effort and document scope
- Contribute to and lead design, architecture, process and development discussions
- Distill and communicate technical concepts to the team and other stakeholders
Argue for the right outcomes with data, conviction and diplomacy BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science/Engineering or related discipline (or) at least 5 years equivalent work experience
- 3+ years experience managing software development teams
- Experience in at least one modern programming language such as Java, C#, Go, C++, Ruby, or Python.
- Hands on experience with professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
- Track record for coaching and developing engineers
- Excellent organizational, prioritization and time management skills
- Superior analytical and problem solving skills
Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Master's Degree in Computer Science/Engineering or related field; or at least 6 years equivalent work experience
- Track record of developing engineers through various career stages and building high-performance teams.
- Experience building and operating large-scale distributed software systems and highly available services
- Experience with cloud and/or software as a service products