Our software developers build the next generation technologies that change how millions of AWS customers connect, and interact with AWS services ecosystem. We use ideas from every facet of computer science including distributed computing, large-scale design, big and real-time data processing, data storage, service oriented architecture, networking, machine learning, and artificial intelligence. We are looking for highly-motivated and passionate engineers to build our next generation high performance in-memory distributed data storage platform to solve real-time query, transaction and analytics processing for large scale data applications.
If you have ever pondered about CAP theorem, consistent hashing, multi-master replication, merkle trees, leader election or Paxos Algorithm, gossip protocols, tiered storage, this is an opportunity to get your hands dirty with a real-world solution implementing these distributed system concepts. Come work with the folks who are not only building a highly-available and scalable in-memory distributed service but also influencing the direction of No SQL systems throughout the industry (read our acclaimed Dynamo paper here: http://www.allthingsdistributed.com/files/amazon-dynamo-sosp2007.pdf).
As an engineer in our in-memory computing platform team, you will build our next-generation in-memory NoSQL database platform that allows developers to build highly available, scalable and high performance applications. We are working to bring some of the assets of RDBMS systems such as SQL and transactions to the rapidly growing world of NoSQL database systems. The software services have unprecedented scale and availability requirements. You will lead the software development of large-scale distributed in-memory storage platform; in Java, C/C++ and other languages using open source technologies like Redis, Memcached, and Amazon proprietary technologies. This includes software applications dealing with HTTP/REST services, asynchronous messaging, event-based technologies, real-time failure detection system, horizontal and vertical scaling, management and monitoring plane workflows, auto-remediation, fault tolerance, backup and restore technologies, disaster recovery and prevention. As a member of the In-Memory Storage Platform team, you will also get to work with exceptional team members and be directly involved in growing and mentoring junior engineers on the team.
We are building a high performance, low-latency database where caching and data storage are managed by the single system to support the realm of real-time applications like IoT or mobile apps. We are extending our service from just being an in-memory data store cache, but also provide durable data storage without compromising latency. In addition, we are building a new highly scalable and available management plane system using micro-services architecture and a real-time failure detection and auto-remediation system that can detect node failures in our large distributed cluster, initiate and remediate failed nodes within seconds.
Our charter is ElastiCache, Elasticache is an AWS service that enables users to deploy, manage and massively scale in-memory distributed data stores. Customers include many of the world's fastest growing start-ups, using the service to build low latency, high throughput data layer and improve performance of applications using caching. Amazon ElastiCache helps developers turbo-charge their application performance and simplifies management of Memcached and Redis data stores in the cloud. We heavily use open-source software systems in providing a world-class experience to our customers.
To apply for this role, we are looking for folks with solid analytical, design and problem diagnosis skills, expertise with systems programming, database internals, high-performance applications, distributed systems or service design is a plus. We need our engineers to be versatile, display leadership qualities and be enthusiastic to tackle new problems across the full-stack as we continue to push technology forward. With your technical expertise you will manage individual projects priorities, deadlines and deliverables. You will design, develop, test, deploy, maintain, and enhance software solutions.
- Expert knowledge of one of the following programming languages: Java, C and C++
- 7+ years of hands on experience in software development, including design, implementation, debugging, and support, building scalable system software and/or Services
- Deep understanding of distributed systems and web services technology
- Strong at applying data structures, algorithms, and object oriented design, to solve challenging problems
- Experience working with REST and RPC service patterns and other client/server interaction models
- Track record of building and delivering mission critical, 24x7 production software systems
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent
- Experience in taking a lead role developing complex software systems that have successfully been delivered to customers
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing and operations
- Demonstrated ability to mentor other software developers in all aspects of their engineering skillsets
- Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and senior management to collect requirements, describe software product features, product strategy and influence outcomes in technical decision-making
- Experience working with in-memory caching and database technologies, including Memcached and Redis
- Solid understanding of performance and efficiency with a strong customer focus
- Master's degree in Computer Science or equivalent