- 3+ years of non-internship professional software
- Programming experience with at least one modern
language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design.
- 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture
and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling)
of new and current systems.
SDE, Performance Advertising
When done correctly, advertising allows customers to discover new products they love and brands to find new customers. Revenues generated from advertising allow us to decrease costs for our customers: save $20 when you buy a Kindle with ads customized for you. It's a win for our customers, a win for our advertisers and a win for Amazon. Amazon is investing heavily in building a world class advertising business and we are responsible for defining and delivering a collection of self-service performance advertising products that drive discovery and sales.
We are building a brand new advertising product focused on creating cross-selling and basket building opportunities for our advertisers, while helping shoppers discover new complementary products and categories of products that they should consider buying. For example, if a shopper is buying a toothpaste, they might also have a need for a dental floss, a mouthwash and a toothbrush. It is this shopping experience that we intend to simplify for our shoppers, by showing them most relevant complementary products, sponsored by the brands they trust, all in an easy to consume user experience. The engineering challenges around building a personalized, relevant and compelling recommendation system while allowing advertisers to drive brand discovery - at Amazon scale - requires a deep understanding of how to use the immense amount of data available to effectively improve customer experience. This means you'll get many opportunities to use machine learning, distributed systems and other cutting edge tools to make the advertiser and customer experience markedly better.
We are looking for folks with solid analytical, design and problem diagnosis skills, expertise with systems programming, high-performance applications, distributed systems or service design is a plus. We need our engineers to be versatile, display leadership qualities and be enthusiastic to tackle new problems across the full-stack as we continue to push technology forward. With your technical expertise you will manage individual projects priorities, deadlines and deliverables. You will design, develop, test, deploy, maintain, and enhance software solutions.
- * Highly analytical: You solve problems in ways that can be backed up with verifiable data. You focus on driving processes, tools, and statistical methods which support rational decision-making.
- * Technically fearless: You aren't satisfied by performing 'as expected' and push the limits past conventional boundaries.
- * Team obsessed: You help grow your team members to achieve outstanding results. You foster the creative atmosphere to let engineers innovate, while holding them accountable for making smart decisions and delivering results.
- * Humbitious: You're ambitious, yet humble. You recognize that there's always opportunity for improvement and use introspection and feedback from teammates and peers to raise the bar for your team.
- * Engaged by ambiguity: You're able to explore new problem spaces with unique constraints and thus non-obvious solutions; you're quick to identify any gaps in the team and the right person to fill them to best deliver value to customers.
- * Own technical vision and direction: You identify problems and develop solutions; you embrace performance metrics and measurement techniques because they help you assess how well system-related services are running.
- * Collaborate on product direction: You'll build and maintain strong relationships between engineering and partner disciplines (Product, User Experience, QA) to ensure that we're focused on delivering the right product for customers.
- * Own your own shop: Our products reach hundreds of millions of customers around the world. We run operations 24x7x365 and the services your team delivers must meet high standards for operational excellence. Our teams own and operate the systems we build.