- Expert knowledge of one of the following programming languages: Java, C and C++
- 9+ years of hands on experience in software development, including design, implementation, debugging, and support, building scalable system software and/or Services
- Deep understanding of distributed systems and web services technology
- Strong at applying data structures, algorithms, and object oriented design, to solve challenging problems
- Experience working with REST and RPC service patterns and other client/server interaction models
- Track record of building and delivering mission critical, 24x7 production software systems
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent
Sr. SDE, Ad Eligibility and Sponsored Bundles
When done correctly, advertising allows customers to discover new products they love and brands to find new customers. Revenues generated from advertising allow us to decrease costs for our customers: save $20 when you buy a Kindle with ads customized for you. It's a win for our customers, a win for our advertisers and a win for Amazon. Amazon is investing heavily in building a world class advertising business and we are responsible for defining and delivering a collection of self-service performance advertising products that drive discovery and sales.
Our team is launching two exciting new initiatives that require a Senior Software Engineer to own technical design and execution and deep dive into implementation at scale:
Ad Eligibility is a highly cross-cutting feature that aims to provide both internal and external customers with insight and transparency around ad serving decisions. This service consumes the entire firehose of information produced by the ad serving pipeline and provides a consistent, useful and relevant data platform for both external advertisers and internal analysts to make data-driven decisions.
Sponsored Bundles aims to answer the shopper question:
"What else should I buy with this?" It's a discovery-oriented ad product that leverages advanced machine learning models around product similarity and complementarity to give shoppers suggested bundles of complementary products. For advertisers, we want to provide value not only in featuring their products in places where they would be most effective, but also in allowing them to create curated, branded bundles to increase shopper engagement.
We are looking for folks with solid analytical, design and problem diagnosis skills, expertise with systems programming, high-performance applications, distributed systems or service design is a plus. We need our engineers to be versatile, display leadership qualities and be enthusiastic to tackle new problems across the full-stack as we continue to push technology forward. With your technical expertise you will manage individual projects priorities, deadlines and deliverables. You will design, develop, test, deploy, maintain, and enhance software solutions.
- Highly analytical: You solve problems in ways that can be backed up with verifiable data. You focus on driving processes, tools, and statistical methods which support rational decision-making.
- Technically fearless: You aren't satisfied by performing 'as expected' and push the limits past conventional boundaries.
- Team obsessed: You help grow your team members to achieve outstanding results. You foster the creative atmosphere to let engineers innovate, while holding them accountable for making smart decisions and delivering results.
- Humbitious: You're ambitious, yet humble. You recognize that there's always opportunity for improvement and use introspection and feedback from teammates and peers to raise the bar for your team.
- Engaged by ambiguity: You're able to explore new problem spaces with unique constraints and thus non-obvious solutions; you're quick to identify any gaps in the team and the right person to fill them to best deliver value to customers.
- Own technical vision and direction: You identify problems and develop solutions; you embrace performance metrics and measurement techniques because they help you assess how well system-related services are running.
- Collaborate on product direction: You'll build and maintain strong relationships between engineering and partner disciplines (Product, User Experience, QA) to ensure that we're focused on delivering the right product for customers.
- Own your own shop: Our products reach hundreds of millions of customers around the world. We run operations 24x7x365 and the services your team delivers must meet high standards for operational excellence. Our teams own and operate the systems we build.