· 4-6 years of consumer product design experience with knowledge of injection molding and stamping.
The Product Design Lead is the foundation of our hardware organization. As the owner of the end-to-end mechanical product design, you will work closely with the greater team to understand and define the product requirements; to create robust designs that balance performance, manufacturability, and cost; and to be a champion for product quality.
In this role, you will help drive and direct product development efforts across the organization, focusing on the enclosure architecture, but also influencing accessory design, packaging, reliability, thermals, tooling, and manufacturing. The role requires depth in mechanical core competencies, but also breadth to collaborate cross-functionally and ensure well-aligned and well-supported development. It presents an opportunity to have a significant impact on all aspects of the product while working to build a world-class team that embodies great design, attention to detail, and quality.
What you’ll do:
- Drive generations of products from prototyping to manufacturing
- Architect and complete detailed design of plastic and metal components of consumer electronics products
- Work with Electrical Engineering, RF Design, ID, and Product team members to conceptualize, define, design, build, and test new products
- Make detailed 3D CAD models and 2D drawings of all parts and assemblies. Define materials and seek out off-the-shelf components and systems for the product.
- Perform design validation, verification, and characterization for first prototypes, sub-assemblies, and the final product.
- Perform tolerance analyses to verify performance of mechanisms and cosmetic specifications in the presence of high volume dimensional variation
- Interact with overseas vendors to develop tune new manufacturing processes, develop tooling, and design assembly fixtures
- Work with the operations teams to evaluate and develop supply chains capable of manufacturing new subsystems and products
- Define testing requirements, fixtures, and equipment to qualify the mechanical design and product assembly for mass production.
- Travel internationally to support bring-up and qualification mass production capability. (20-25%)
- Has demonstrated experience with 3D CAD Tools (eg. Solidworks, UG/Nx, ProEngineer, etc.)
- Has knowledge of high-volume manufacturing processes and/or automation
- Experience in Design for Manufacturability (DFM), and Design for Assembly (DFA), statistical tolerance analysis techniques, functional dimensioning, and geometric tolerancing
- Possesses a solid understanding of root cause analysis, DOE, GD&T, SPC, and CP/CPK techniques.
- Experience in rigid and flexible PCB design or packaging is a plus
- A broad understanding of wireless technologies, design principles, and architectures is a plus.
- Experience working on-site and remotely with vendors in Asia.
- BSME or equivalent. MS preferred.