The Railway industry today is characterized by both a strong and sustained growth across the world. The trends that drive this are well known: With 6B€ of Sales and around 30,000 employees based in over 60 countries, Alstom develop & market the most complete range of systems, equipment and services offered today in the railway sector. Today we offer our customers solutions that feature a seamless blend of diverse technologies, ensuring optimal interfaces, along with flexible implementation and real synergy in innovation. Visit www.alstom.com to learn more about our business.
As a promoter of sustainable mobility, Alstom develops and markets systems, equipment and services for the railway sector. Alstom manages the widest range of solutions in the market – from high-speed trains to metros and tramways – customised services and infrastructure and signalling solutions.
In Canada, more than 200 employees work for Alstom at four (4) main sites: Montreal and Sorel-Tracy, Quebec, Ottawa and Toronto, Ontario. Current Alstom projects in Canada include: the supply of 34 Citadis Spirit light rail vehicles and 30 years of maintenance services for the O-Train Confederation Line in Ottawa, Ont., signalling solutions in the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area, including communications-based train control, and the supply of 468 new Azur metro cars (with a partner) in Montreal, Quebec. Today, Alstom is ramping up its activities to meet market demand in Canada, and is looking for experienced and talented individuals eager to join Alstom to face these new and exciting challenges.
At our new light rail vehicle assembly site in Toronto, we are looking for a Site EHS Manager, a newly created role reporting to the Site Director and functionally to the Canada EHS Country Leader. This EHS role will ensure that we are operationally ready for manufacturing start in 2018 to meet all of our legislative and corporate EHS requirements. The role is a long term role associated with the site.
OVERALL PURPOSE OF THE ROLE:
The Site Environmental Health and Safety Manager shall provide expertise in the management of business EHS risk and engage personal at all levels in fostering a high performing EHS culture striving for business/industrial excellence standards. The role will be integral in improving the businesses EHS performance by implementing and maintaining EHS initiatives and codes of practice, policies and risk management strategies.
As this role is allocated to a new site under development, an integral function of this role includes the setting up of the EHS Management System for the new site in preparation for manufacturing start date, including supporting the industrial equipment installation and commissioning phases.
- Support Site Management in achieving EHS results
- Drive the implementation of EHS policy on the site according to the Alstom Canada guidelines and targets, and the improvement of EHS results in the site.
- Develop implement and maintain the EHS Management System, in line with Alstom standards and international standards (EHS roadmaps, ISO14001, OHSAS 18001)
- Deploy Alstom EHS standards and tools (e-book, Directives, Transport specific requirements, etc.)
- Monitor compliance with all relevant EHS statutory, regulatory, contractual and company requirements
- Advice, help, coach, support operational management in the EHS actions implementation to reach Alstom EHS objectives.
- Prepare the local yearly EHS plan consistent with Alstom Transport strategy and objectives. Mobilize and coordinate with others to meet those objectives and deploy the plan. Monitor the right deployment of the plan.
- Ensure EHS Risk Assessments are completed & appropriate measures to control risks are defined for the Site.
- Prepare, implement and maintain emergency plans at Site level.
- Make sure activities of sub-contractors are under control with respect to EHS, especially where interfaces are involved with other contractors and/or operational areas.
- Has full authority and must stop any operational activity resulting in an immediate high risk to People or the Environment.
- Ensure that any near misses/accidents/incidents are first prevented, controlled, and when occurring reported, recorded, investigated and analysed in line with business expectations and standards. Establish and communicate incidents reports including EHS alerts
- Represent the business as necessary, with external bodies and regulators in meetings related to EHS matters
- Organise and lead internal EHS audits and inspections
- Liaise with external regulators, such as the Ministry of Labor as and when required
- Promote a positive culture of active participation, at all levels of the business , for matters relating to EHS to ensure compliance with requirements
- Advise key stakeholders including customers and management on EHS and risk management techniques, methods and controls
- Facilitate the development of EHS planned activities to address EHS issues and initiatives
- Influence the site EHS performance: facilitate change and EHS continuous improvement
- Build the site EHS communication plan
- Prepare and implement an EHS training plan and program with the support from HR and a local EHS communication plan.
- Implement and conduct site EHS induction programmes
- Ensure that Accidents/Incidents are first prevented, and when occurring, reported, recorded, investigated and analyzed. Establish and communicate REX reports in case of severe or potentially severe accidents. Ensure Alstom EHS call for actions are deployed at site level.
- Prepare and submit monthly EHS reports. Feed EHS Teranga reporting system in line with Group reporting requirements. Is accountable for data quality of the Site & associated projects.
- Organize and lead internal EHS audits and inspections of the EHS reporting process in the Country/Cluster.
QUALIFICATIONS & COMPETENCIES
- Tertiary qualifications (undergraduate or postgraduate) in Occupational Health and Safety and where possible Environmental qualifications in addition
- Health & Safety Professional Membership recognized by the professional membership authorities in the country of operation or an equivalent international level or working towards said membership (CSSE, IOSH, ASSE etc..)
- Experience of minimum 5 years in Environment, Health & Safety Management
- Experience from manufacturing or similar industrial type environments - experience in railway or rail manufacturing is a plus
- Detailed knowledge of Occupational Health and Safety & Environmental Protection Legislation and associated regulations.
- Health and Safety Lead Auditor or equivalent qualification with associated experience
- Proven experience of EHS, knowledge of local legal requirements
- Experience of risk assessment and environmental impact analysis and survey; knowledge of tools and methodologies.
- Experience of Health & Safety management, experience of environmental impacts management ,
- Experience of incident investigations and root cause analysis,
- Operational oriented and adaptability
- Ability to take decisions, sense of urgency and team work oriented
- Collaboration/Teamwork & Accountability: Delegates, provides encouragement and support to people in accepting responsibility with accountability
- Communicating with transparency: Delivers clear messages with the ability to communicate to different levels
- Conflict Management and multitasking
- Ability to implement EHS programs and achieve measurable goals
- Ability to self-manage and organize priorities
- Prior operational experience of business continuity planning and incident management is preferred
- Strong organizational and analytical skills
- Strong auditing skills
- Ability to train and motivate employees
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills
At Alstom Transport, we offer you the opportunity to unleash your potential and reinvent yourself. As a future employee, you will have a unique opportunity to drive our organization forward, while continuing to build your career and contribute to the expanding growth of the global railway industry.
Job Segment: Risk Management, Manager, Supply, Finance, Management, Operations