The Software Engineering team at AbacusNext has a career opportunity for a Data Scientist specializing in text analytics located in Toronto, Canada, or Edinburgh, United Kingdom. The job of the Data Scientist is to invent and refine algorithms to process, interpret and analyze unstructured text documents. We are seeking individuals knowledgeable in state of the art research in machine learning as applied to NLP as well as experience applying text analytics in a real-world environment. The Data Scientist will design and apply approaches to natural language for use in question/answer processing, smart summarization and classification/taxonomy over large domains of imprecise unstructured text. Research applications developed will to be used by AbacusNext applications. This initiative is an exciting rapid development effort employing agile engineering processes and fielding evolving prototypes to end users in the field.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Independently design and undertake new applications of Machine Learning for NLP research as well as partner in a team environment across organizations.
- Prototype and integrate new approaches to improve named entity extraction from unstructured text for the purpose of knowledge base population.
- Perform metrics-based evaluations of new technologies from research organizations to determine potential contributions.
- Design clustering and taxonomic algorithms scalable to millions of documents.
To be considered for this position, you must minimally meet the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed below
- PhD or Masters degree in a technical discipline such as statistics, computer science, mathematics, physics or a related discipline and 3+ years of related experience.
- At least 1 year of specialized experience using machine-learning, text-mining or natural language processing techniques.
- Knowledge of state-of-the-art methods coupled with the creativity and intelligence to advance beyond them.
- Technical task leadership abilities
Preferred Qualifications: Candidates with these desired skills will be given preferential consideration
- Advanced degree in NLP or a related discipline, such as computational linguistics, machine learning, or artificial intelligence.
- Experience implementing NLP and machine learning techniques with document corpora and applying other non-traditional open sources to real-world mission solutions.
- Bridging the gap between science and products
- Competitive salary and benefits
- A tight-knit team with a track record of success and innovation
- A high-visibility position for continued career growth
- A wide variety of perks befitting an *established* start-up
Abacus Data Systems Canada, Inc. welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.