Our mission is to connect the world's photographers. Every month, millions of people from around the world use our website and mobile apps to find, share, and get rewarded for the world's most inspiring photography.
We take pride in the products we build and love what we do. Our company culture values mentorship, ownership, collaboration, and getting stuff done.
Our data layer includes:
Python, Luigi-based ETL pipeline, Kinesis, S3, Athena, EMR, Redshift, Redash, Looker, and various other services.
We are looking for an experienced Team Lead who can manage the data scientists and engineers, and help the company moving forward confidently with data-informed decisions in all aspects.
What You'll Be Doing
- Recruit, lead and mentor the data team members to conduct data collection, analysis, and reporting, supporting0pxbusiness objectives and initiatives.
- Work closely with the product, marketing and design teams to define and answer business questions in a measurable and actionable manner.
- Develop data collection plans, work with other engineering teams to execute them, and ensure the integrity of data collected.
- Accountable for ensuring delivery of data products and reports against the company's needs and set timelines.
- Have a comprehensive understanding of the data layer and its major components.
- Identify major data debts that would hurt the data analysis or reduce the team efficiency, and prioritize them according to their business impacts.
- Develop reports, dashboards and key tools for tracking KPIs and critical milestones; provide summary of status and tracking against established timelines and KPIs on a regular basis to key stakeholders across the business line and senior leadership team.
- Communicate the main business goals and vision to team members to ensure good team alignment.
- Build quality data team through knowledge sharing, personal development events, and other activities.
- Evaluate individual performance and conduct regular 1-1s to recognize each individual's achievements, discuss areas of improvements, and help engineers develop career growth plans.
- Educate the rest of company about data-driven decision making and self-serve BI solutions.
What the Ideal Candidate Will Have
- Demonstrated leadership experience
- A Bachelor's or Master's degree in statistics, computer science, math, physics, or a related quantitative field.
- 5+ years of experience with statistical sciences: statistical modelling and data mining.
- Expert knowledge of MySQL and/or PostgreSQL.
- Hands-on experience with Python and/or R.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Empathy for your users and teammates.
- Grit: when the need arises you are willing to work through messy details with your team to achieve success; you persevere when others fall away.
- A bias towards action: the ability to cut through any issue, identify the salient points, and rally a team around addressing them
- High standards: for yourself and your team
You'll get bonus points for
- A love of photography and familiarity with the0pxplatform
- Knowledge of advanced data analysis topics such as: causal inferences, data simulation, or correlated data analysis (e.g., survival analysis, longitudinal analysis, time series analysis and forecasting)
- Working experience with python libraries for data wrangling, visualization, mining and modelling (e.g., Pandas, NumPy, Matplotlib, Seaborn, Statsmodels, SciKit-Learn, NLTK)
- Working experience with R packages for data wrangling, visualization and modelling (e.g., reshape2, dplyr, stringr, lubridate, ggplot2, car, forecast, randomforeset, Caret, survival)
- Knowledge of business intelligence such as SaaS metrics, time series forecasting, or pricing analysis
- Knowledge of data warehousing and ETL
- Experience with web scraping
- Knowledge of NoSQL (MongoDB)
- Interesting technical challenges
- Competitive salaries
- Flexible hours
- Catered lunches, snacks and drinks
- Great health and dental benefits
- Professional development opportunities
Our Interview Process
- Phone screen: < 30 min conversation with a hiring manager.
- Data challenge: a take-home test to analyze a sample of0pxdataset and build an insightful presentation.
- In-person interviews: 2-3 hours at our office where you'll meet multiple members of our team.
We believe diverse teams perform better, and we seek to increase our overall team diversity. We make active efforts to reduce the impact of unconscious bias in our hiring process.