1QBit is dedicated to solving the world’s most intractable challenges by recasting problems to harness the power of quantum computing. We identify intractable industry problems and apply breakthroughs in computation to machine intelligence and optimization science to build software that allows applications to continually benefit from advances in both quantum and classical hardware.
We believe that quantum technologies will form the next pillar of computational progress. We research, benchmark and build software development kits, online platforms, and applications that make the power of quantum computers accessible to researchers, developers and industry-leading organizations so they can solve their most difficult problems in fields such as optimization, simulation, and machine learning.
As an interdisciplinary team of world-class mathematicians, physicists, operations research scientists, computer scientists, software developers, computational chemists, and quantum computing experts, we share a curiosity and drive to uncover new ways of solving currently intractable problems using advanced classical and quantum systems.
Our work is guided by a shared set of values focused on five fundamental principles:
- Audacity – A drive to pioneer and apply new methods. To dream without limit and then do the hard work of bringing your ideas into reality.
- Open Thinking – A belief in the sharing of ideas. To approach each exploration with a receptive mindset and collaborate openly to produce the best possible results.
- Interdisciplinary Collaboration – A respect for the diversity of people, backgrounds, and skills. A wide range of perspectives reveals a more complete landscape and yields deeper insights.
- Ownership – A feeling of pride in the work of the team and a deep sense of purpose and accomplishment from your contribution.
- Beginner’s Mindset – A desire to improve as an expert while retaining the curiosity and openness that inspired you to begin.
You will be a primary collaborator in shaping the user experience of the 1QBit cloud platform as it continues to evolve. You will work closely with the Cloud Development Team and Head of Product to design experiences that have value for end users and support the organization’s mission. At the core of this role, you will design, plan, and refine user experience and flow, as well as assist in driving product discovery, prototyping, user testing, and evolving the design of systems.
“Why 1QBit?”, you might ask… Well, we provide our people with a unique opportunity to work on some of the world’s most challenging computational problems. You will be part of an entrepreneurial team that is responsible for bringing industry-leading research to life and help guide the development of this nascent industry.
What You'll Do
- Develop UX design strategies to align with specific product objectives
- Create on-brand design solutions that meet measurable business goals and requirements by collecting and analyzing user interface problems
- Create user-centred designs by leveraging market analysis, customer feedback, technical constraints/opportunities, and usability findings
- Work closely with various teams to develop high-level requirements and use cases
- Create process flows, journey maps, storyboards, clickable prototypes, and wireframes to effectively conceptualize and communicate detailed interaction behaviours
- Present design work to the Cloud Team, Head of Product, and project stakeholders for review and feedback
- Partner with development teams across 1QBit to create assets, review finished interfaces, and build user experiences
- Define and maintain a style guide in collaboration with Head of Product and Marketing
- Develop and contribute to UI design standards and practices
What You’ll Bring
- 5+ years of experience as a UX/UI designer experience
- Education in human factors, visual design, or a related UX/UI degree, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- A portfolio or work samples that demonstrate your process for creating great user-centred design solutions
- A customer-centred and data-driven mindset—you measure your success in part by customer and end-user feedback
- Experience in developing UX/UI solutions within an Agile development environment
- Experience with a variety of design tools, such as Sketch and Principle
- Excellent communication, presentation, interpersonal, and analytical skills, including the ability to communicate interactive design concepts clearly across various teams
- Self-motivation and the ability to take initiatives and follow through reliably
- A drive to proactively seek out opportunities to help move projects forward and contribute to their improvement
- An openness to soliciting feedback to improve your performance and, in turn, continually providing input to team members to elevate team performance and contribute to 1QBit’s culture
- An eagerness to learn about new trends, tools, and technologies, and to continually consider how these will influence our projects, including the implications and opportunities that they will bring
- A dedication to maintaining team unity and success through open communication
- A commitment to challenge the status quo, take smart risks, and be open to possible failure
- Strong communication and collaboration skills with both technical and non-technical team members
- A philosophy of continuous improvement and a passion for knowledge sharing
- Strong organizational skills, and the ability to manage tasks and meet deadlines
Not a must, but a nice to have:
- You are familiar with the developer experience (DX) and the DNA of a developer portal
- You have worked with a technical end-user audience (developers, data scientists, researchers)
- Basic HTML and CSS coding skills would be an asset
Who You Are
You share our belief that principles, not policies, enable individuals and teams to apply their unique lens in making decisions. Like all 1QBit team members, you thrive in our flat hierarchy of empowered individuals. You embrace the rigorous examination of the thoughts and work of diverse minds from multiple disciplines because you know it uncovers deeper insights and produces robust results. You believe there is no failure in exploration because new breakthroughs often require rigorous examination of multiple paths before a conclusion is reached. You have a desire to apply yourself to purposeful work that is inspiring, meaningful, and fun, to create value for the world by advancing the ability to solve complex problems. You have a relentless curiosity for exploring new methodologies and you have an intrinsic drive to architect the foundation of the quantum ecosystem because you love the challenges and understand the rewards that the next paradigm of computation will bring.