1QBit is dedicated to solving the world's most intractable challenges by recasting problems to harness the power of quantum computing. We identify demanding industry problems and apply breakthroughs in computation to machine intelligence and optimization science to build software that allows applications to continually benefit from advances in both quantum and classical hardware.
We believe that quantum technologies will form the next pillar of computational progress. We research, benchmark, and build software development kits, online platforms, and applications that make the power of quantum computers accessible to researchers, developers, and industry-leading organizations so they can solve their most difficult problems in fields such as optimization, simulation, and machine learning.
As an interdisciplinary team of world-class mathematicians, physicists, engineers, operations research scientists, software developers, quantum computing experts, and business leaders, we share a curiosity and drive to uncover new ways of solving currently intractable problems.
Our work is guided by a shared set of values focused on five fundamental principles:
- Audacity - A drive to pioneer and apply new methods. To dream without limit and then do the hard work of bringing your ideas into reality.
- Open Thinking - A belief in the sharing of ideas. To approach each exploration with a receptive mindset and collaborate openly to produce the best possible results.
- Interdisciplinary Collaboration - A respect for the diversity of people, backgrounds, and skills. A wide range of perspectives reveals a more complete landscape and yields deeper insights.
- Ownership - A feeling of pride in the work of the team and a deep sense of purpose and accomplishment from your contribution.
- Beginner's Mindset - A desire to improve as an expert while retaining the curiosity and openness that inspired you to begin.
1QBit is looking for its first in-house Financial Controller to join our team. In this role, you will be working with various divisions and stakeholders to provide centralized accounting services to the organization. At the core of this role, you will be responsible for the full accounting cycle and will have an opportunity to use your expertise and previous experience to create custom workflows and processes which will address our operating needs. You will support the CFO and Chief of Staff in establishing, monitoring, and improving the controls within 1QBit to ensure integrity and conformity with accounting best practices. True to our culture, you will work in partnership with stakeholders to ensure that we are doing things in the best way possible and that people feel supported.
"Why 1QBit?" you might ask... Well, as a pioneer in the development of quantum computing software, we are defining and transforming how the industry evolves.
If being a pioneer is not enough, you will also have the opportunity to support amazing people who are working on some of the world's most challenging computational problems in the areas of machine learning, optimization, quantum computing and simulation.
What You'll Do
- Work with Division Heads to develop and review annual budgets and perform an ongoing review of actuals
- Prepare annual financial statements in accordance with IFRS
- Develop and implement internal controls
- Perform detailed variance analysis and account reconciliations
- Manage accounts payable and receivable
- Manage all aspects of the general ledger, including journal entries and bank reconciliations
- Process and reconcile expense reports and internal reimbursements
- Assist with our year-end audits
- Prepare and process payroll, ensuring payroll controls, procedures, and policies are aligned with Canadian payroll regulations and standards
- Create, maintain, and process employment status changes on our payroll system, payroll records, and filing processes
- Complete year-end tax filings
- Review T4, T4A-NR, T4A reconciliations, and remittances
- Review WorkSafeBC and WSIB coverage and prepare assessments and remittances
- Perform an ongoing financial review of key business activities, including recommendations for improvement
What You'll Bring
Members of our team bring a confluence of personality, skills, and intent that contributes to their individual development and our collective growth as an organization. The knowledge and mindset you will bring to our team includes:
- 5+ years of progressive accounting experience
- Completion of a recognized accounting designation
- Strong communication and collaboration skills with both technical and non-technical team members
- The ability to research, analyze, and communicate financial results
- Knowledge of the technology industry would be an asset
- The ability to manage in a multi-currency environment
- Financial and business acumen; you must understand the business impact of financial results
- Self-motivation and the ability to follow through reliably on initiatives
- A drive to proactively seek out opportunities to help move projects forward and contribute to their improvement
- An openness to soliciting feedback to improve your performance and, in turn, to continually providing input to team members to elevate team performance and contribute to 1QBit's culture
- An eagerness to learn about new trends, tools, and technologies, and to continually consider how these will influence our projects, including the implications and opportunities that they will bring
- A dedication to maintaining team unity and success through open communication
- A commitment to challenge the status quo, take smart risks, and be open to possible failure
- A philosophy of continuous improvement and a passion for knowledge sharing
- Strong organizational skills, and the ability to manage tasks and meet deadlines
Who You Are
You share our belief that principles, not policies, enable individuals and teams to apply their unique lens in making decisions. Like all 1QBit team members, you thrive in our flat hierarchy of empowered individuals. You embrace the rigorous examination of the thoughts and work of diverse minds from multiple disciplines because you know it uncovers deeper insights and produces robust results. You believe there is no failure in exploration because new breakthroughs often require rigorous examination of multiple paths before a conclusion is reached. You have a desire to apply yourself to purposeful work that is inspiring, meaningful, and fun, to create value for the world by advancing the ability to solve complex problems.